Click on the pictures...

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Orthdontics School

So it's attempt number N at a blog, because I've got the time to do this these days. I am going to start by re-posting my Facebook note of a personal statement for Sandy's orthodontics school application.

Sandy asked me for a little assistance in touching up his personal statement, I decided to write something from scratch:

(Note, I didn't bother to proof it).

Since I was in about eighth grade teeth have just called out to me. The white shine of enamel stalks my dreams and brightens my nightmares. Truly, I love teeth. But crooked teeth are an abhorrence to me, my obsessive compulsive disorder demands bring order to those mouths that have failed to find a straight path. Orthodontics is indeed the perfect profession for me as it combines my ardor for teeth with my desire to spread the gospel of the linear.

Perhaps my love of teeth is rooted in my formative years when I was exposed to Timmy the Tooth. While other children were concerning themselves with Super Man, Mighty Mouse, Sailor Moon, and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, I took a shine to that true defender of democracy, Timmy the Tooth. Teddy Roosevelt once commented on how Timmy the Tooth shaped his upbringing, inspiring him to become New York City police commissioner to bring reforms and was also a key to his joining the progressive movement. In the same way Timmy, the bane of all plaque, inspired me in my youthful years making me yearn to do something great with my life, and so it began. Like Timmy always said, "Speak softly and carry a big toothbrush."

Having completed three years of my dental training I realize that I must continue to pursue greater education, so that I may help the masses who suffer from the curse of crooked. There are many people out there that have the eye to help get teeth clean but we must be sure that our great nation never lacks in people that can help bring an even more perfect smile. Here in the United States we have set high standards for our mouths, our teeth must not waver, they may never fail. Straight teeth are a symbol of our national pride and it sets us apart from our former imperial overlords, who lack the appreciation we have for a more orderly mouth.

I want to do my part, to help the people, to help America. Even though I’m Canadian, I was raised in this country and I have great reverence for our most sacred oral traditions. With my little round mirror and army of assistants I shall embark on a journey to spread even more head gears and retainers throughout our great nation. And that journey starts with you good sirs and madams, with the education you can provide me. Under your tutelage I shall hone my skills and become a tooth corrector without equal. So I beseech thee, help me on my quest, assist me as so that I may assist others.

I shall not back away from my mandate, my quest to banish the chaos so often found within the confines of that center of mastication. I am ready to pursue my career in orthodontics with great zeal, no tooth shall ever be out of place while I’m on the job. I’ll greet each day and each patient with a smile of aligning love and help guide them down the path to a more perfect mouth, for I am an orthodontist at heart and I will never back away from a tooth in need some of repositioning.

No comments: