Click on the pictures...

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Starting Work

Yes, it has been a long time since I’ve updated. Things have become rather busy since I’ve started work and I just haven’t quite gotten around to the blog. I also think my entries perhaps need to be short, but more frequent.

My job, like many jobs, got off to a rough start. The first two and a half days were spent largely feeling out what I needed to do. After a couple rough lessons I finally found a good pace that works and I feel much better about the service I am providing. I remember when being interviewed I was asked if I thought that teaching a class of several people or individual lessons would be harder. At the time I said teaching a class would be harder because there are so many variables to juggle in such a setting.

I might have to revise my opinion now that I am 33 lessons into my job. It’s true that there are a lot more variables to consider in a class than in private lessons, but eventually you come to understand the character of a class and know how to handle it. Thus far, I have taught 32 different people, which means every lesson I have to come to understand a new person, each one a different from the last. Now eventually I should have repeat customers and therefore I won’t have to worry so much about this. But perhaps at the end of the day neither class nor individual lessons a re harder, they’re just different.

Other than that I am enjoying Tokyo. The Japanese are an extremely considerate and respectful people. It is amazing how the people in Tokyo live so densely together in such great harmony. This morning I talked down to the nearest 100 yen store and I couldn’t help but marvel how quiet things were for such a large and busy city.

I do have some pictures to share, I’ll post them shortly, but that’s all for now.

No comments: