Click on the pictures...

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Have a Great 2011: Year of the Rabbit

This is the gate into the main grounds of the Meji Shrine, one of the most famous Shinto shrines in Japan. In Japan, New Year's is a pretty significant day and many people head to shrines with their families to pray and wish for luck for the upcoming year. With the exception of a few businesses and necessary services like the trains, everything is shut down from the 1st to the 3rd. From December 31st to January 1st is the only day all year that the trains run all night. Meji Jingu, located in Yoyogi park, is heavily trafficked, so I decided to check it out yesterday morning. I took a lot of pictures, many of them good, but I've decided to spread them out over a few days. I decided to start with the main attraction itself, the shrine as seen below.

Also, if you didn't see the previous post, on the right I've added a link to a map of Tokyo with most of the places I've taken pictures marked on it. Many of the marks are approximations, most often pointing to the station I used for each location. There are some absences too, most notably Saitama, which isn't in Tokyo.

No comments: