Click on the pictures...

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Well, it's been a while. I'm not surprised that I let this blog sit here unattended for three months, perhaps more surprising is that I came back to it this soon at all. It's unfortunate, because part of the goal was to use this blog to help me stay focused on learning Japanese and just as I had let this go, my focus on Japanese slid as well. But I'm back, and back to the Japanese as well.


I've decided to change my approach, originally I was going to focus on Kanji via Heisig, but I've decided I need to be grappling with the language itself, so back to the Rosetta Stone. I still want to use Heisig's book, but I'm going to adjust the way I've been using it. As I've come back to Rosetta Stone one thing has been made abundantly clear, Heisig works. When I first started Rosetta Stone, back in June, I had it set to romanji, and shortly thereafter switched over to kana, but I avoided kanji like the plague. That's past now, I have Rosetta Stone set to kanji and it's staying there.


The thing with kanji is, you have to do it at some point if you actually want to be able to read the language and like so many things in life, it's that first step that's the hardest. Kanji are intimidating. They're complex, numerous, and used very differently from how we use our phonetic alphabet. When you first approach the language and you see all these crazy symbols it's very easy to switch over to romanji and stick with something familiar. But after doing the first few hundred kanji in Heisig you can more easily tell the kanji apart and memorizing kanji you've never seen before becomes easier, even when not using his method.


Whether using Heisig's method or not, the most important thing is to continue to work with the language and the kanji. Even the Japanese start to forget kanji if they don't use them regularly, so you can imagine as a student of the language there can be no let up.


As far as Rosetta Stone is concerned the verdict is still out, but I'm thinking it is going to work. My anti-virus owned my Rosetta Stone unfortunately and I had to reinstall and start over from scratch, but I am kind of glad that that happened. It is a forced review and I am finding out how effective what I've been doing up to now has been. I definitely feel like this time through I have a much stronger grasp of what's going on, so hopefully that's a sign that I can actually pull this off.

No comments: