Click on the pictures...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Superfluous?


Ever since I moved into my apartment there has been construction going on nearby. Sometimes they have to close down one lane of the road. Today this was the case and there were eight crossing guards on dutry, or as I want to call them, "traffic flow coordinators". I couldn't help but think that this was overkill. You can only see 6 in the top picture, one is around the corner and the other is on the far side of the bridge. The gentleman under the yellow arrow was even so kind as to gesture me across the street... after I had already begun to cross. Which, I must admit, sort of irks my American sensibilities (it apparently also irks Finnish sensibilities).

Something that I try to keep in mind is that every country is different, and each has it's own unique approach to things. After all, this sort of points to something Japan does much better than the United States, service. No doubt there are quality salesmen and service providers who will bend over backwards for you in the states, but Japanese service tends to run circles around American service. In this particular case though eight seems a bit much.

The picture below is the same site from the other side of the bridge.

No comments: